2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
4th Grade Sailing Program
Critical to Sail Newport’s mission is providing year-round affordable programs to the youth of Newport County. The 4th Grade Pell Elementary School Science and Sailing Program is a 16-week experiential learning initiative that blends the District’s STEM curriculum with hands-on sailing fundamentals and boating safety. What makes this collaboration between the Newport Public School System and Sail Newport unique is that it is offered during the school day to every public school 4th grader in Newport, a predominantly underserved population.
In the summer months, Sail Newport continues this important engagement through a partnership with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center’s Summer Adventure Camp. This 8-week literacy, science, and math-based program for elementary school children are offered at no cost to families. Both of these programs take place at Sail Newport’s Mid-Park Marine Education and Recreation Center, along the shoreline and out on Narragansett Bay.
- Support a 16-week in-school STEM sail education program offered to all Newport Public School 4th grade students. During the 2020-21 Academic year, approximately 170 students will be reached.
- Support summer sailing programs with the Martin Luther King Jr. Center, an 8-week literacy, math, and science-based program for students in grades 1-5.
- Work with the Newport Public School System to measure long-term outcomes and academic improvements in students.
- With both programs, instill greater awareness and understanding of Narragansett Bay, and the oceans as a whole, and lasting awareness of the responsibility we all have to protect and steward this precious resource.
- Support the 16-week in-school sailing program offered to all Newport Public School 4th-grade students. During the 2018-2019 academic year, approximately 240 students were educated through the program.
- The grant will assist in covering the cost of Sail Newport staff and sailing instructors, teaching supplies, as well as transportation for the students to and from school.
About Sail Newport
Founded in 1983, Sail Newport continues to pursue its three-part mission to provide affordable community access to sailing, offer world-class sailing instruction, and host local, national and international sailing events. Over the past 35+ years, Sail Newport has become New England’s largest public sailing center and is considered Rhode Island’s premier public sailing site.