2015 – 2022
Mariposa Dominican Republic Foundation
SUSTAINABLE SOLUTIONS TO END GENERATIONAL POVERTY BY EDUCATING AND EMPOWERING GIRLS
Located in Cabarete, Dominican Republic, Mariposa was founded in 2009 with the vision of ending generational poverty by empowering, educating, and employing girls and simultaneously inspiring the international community to join the global movement. The Mariposa Center for Girls is home to direct service programs for girls aged 8-18+ who regularly participate in programs on-site throughout the academic year and during summer camp. Integrated into all of its programmings is a strong emphasis on environmental stewardship and activism. The Mariposa DR Foundation wholeheartedly believes that investing in girls creates a ripple effect that yields multiple benefits for the individual girl, her family, her community, and ultimately, the world. The grants awarded by 11th Hour Racing to Mariposa focuses on the organization’s environmental work and projects, with the aim of creating sustainable environmental and economic solutions to individual girls and women in its community directly through its programming.
- Continue to offer emergency food relief through a food certificate program at a locally owned supermarket.
- Provide the supermarket with Upcycled Sails bags to replace the single-use plastic bags.
- Support educational programs to ensure the students are not falling behind during the 2021 school year, as lessons will be delivered virtually through television and the radio.
- Offer extra academic support through tutoring and homework help remotely, and tailor academic programming to each Mariposa individually, providing apps, books, and audiobooks as needed.
- Bring the Mariposa students safely to the beach and out on the water surfing, SUPing or swimming.
- Develop a student-led awareness campaign on the issues caused by plastic bags and single-use plastics, targeting tourists, local residents, and business owners to promote positive behavior change.
- Host a series of social activism classes with students in collaboration with the United World College.
- Partner with local businesses and the tourism council to integrate into the campaign the distribution of reusable shopping bags produced by Mariposa’s Upcycled Sails Program.
- Expand the plastic pollution curriculum of the Mariposa Center for Girls through its River Keeper program, including fieldwork along the nearby river system and lagoon.
- Divert landfill-bound sails, bringing them to Cabarete in an efficient and sustainable manner to create Upcycled products.
- Develop Upcycled into a recognized valued brand through social media and effective product placement.
- Develop a microcredit lending program for proven seamstresses to buy a machine and work from home, increasing production volume while reducing transportation and childcare costs.
- Create a core curriculum with environmental education as the nucleus. Promote experiential learning through community projects. Empower girls as environmental ambassadors, to educate visitors, the Cabarete community, and citizens abroad on the importance of caring for the environment, especially the ocean.
About Mariposa DR Foundation
The Mariposa DR Foundation was founded in 2009 by a group of caring volunteers and children who were inspired by the urgent need for community-based solutions to end poverty. The organization’s mission is inspired by the United Nations Millennium Development Goals to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger, achieve universal primary education, promote gender equality, empower women, reduce the child mortality rate, improve maternal health, combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases, ensure environmental sustainability, and develop a global partnership for development. Achieving these goals is dependent upon the education and empowerment of women and young girls worldwide.