Official Sustainability Sponsor
Hall of Fame Open
In 2020, 11th Hour Racing became the Official Sustainability Sponsor of the Hall of Fame Open, a fellow Newport, RI-based organization. A men’s professional tennis tournament on the ATP Tour, the Hall of Fame Open draws some of the world’s best tennis players and thousands of fans to Newport for a week of exciting pro tennis contested on the historic grass courts of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
11th Hour Racing’s sponsorship has made a strong impact on expanding Hall of Fame Open’s sustainability plan and initiatives. As part of the sponsorship, the Hall of Fame Open facilitated a review of the tournament’s practices by a sustainability consultant to develop a clear plan for immediate and long-range initiatives to improve the tournament’s overall environmental impact.
As a result, new sustainability initiatives being implemented at the 2021 Hall of Fame Open:
- Reach a 75% landfill diversion rate through recycling and composting with an enhanced compost program for food and landscape waste.
- Eliminate single-use bottles, straws, and plastic bags while providing alternatives such as water refilling stations.
- Source sustainable solutions for event wristbands and work with vendors to use sustainable packaging.
- Work with caterers to implement compostable service ware, food composting, and offer local or sustainably sourced food.
- Use of recycled paper in all printed materials and green-certified cleaning products.
- Track key indicators to enable sustainability initiatives in future years, such as water, electricity, and fuel usage.
- Internal education for Hall of Fame staff focused on how sustainability improvements at a land-based event can improve ocean health.
Hosted on the historic grass courts of the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, Rhode Island, the Hall of Fame Open is the only ATP Tour event played in the Northeast and the only pro tournament played on grass courts in North and South America. The tournament is operated by the International Tennis Hall of Fame and proceeds directly support the organization’s efforts to preserve and promote tennis history, celebrate its greatest champions, and inspire the future of the sport.
Photo credits: International Tennis Hall of Fame