Sailing Sustainability Program
Ambassador Grant: Anderson Reggio
Mudratz gives young sailors the opportunity to experience offshore and long-distance racing. Their mission is aimed at complementing more traditional youth sailing programs across Southern New England by providing opportunities for students to be part of a regional team and to travel to regattas. Through initiatives of its members, Mudratz has developed a strong interest in sustainability leading to their 2017 Platinum Certification from Sailors for the Sea for the Secor Volvo Fishers Island Sound Regatta, which represented the first junior regatta to have ever received that level of certification. Through this project, they created a more comprehensive Sustainability Program driven by the MudRatz kids.
- Partner with 11th Hour Racing Ambassador Anderson Reggio.
- Develop a Sustainability Plan — covering team operations, regatta/event management, boat maintenance, and a participant charter.
- Develop guidelines and best practices for participants to share with the other local sailing programs or yacht clubs they are involved with.
- Outreach and promotion locally on sustainable practices through social media and local media.
- Educational activities in Bermuda following the Mudratz participation in the Newport to Bermuda Race in June 2018.
MudRatz Inc. is a 501c3 nonprofit based in Stonington, CT. The mission of the MudRatz is to complement local youth sailing programs by enabling enthusiastic sailors to practice together as a team and to travel to regattas around the world. In addition to providing a team setting for like-minded youth, through the initiatives of its members, we have developed a strong interest in environmental issues that affect ocean health. The MudRatz has a proven record of embracing an environmentally sound approach and is looking to expand our environmental mindset beyond our sailors.
Header image photo credit: Kerry Schutz Photography