2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Inspiring Change through Documentary Film
newportFILM utilizes the power of documentary films to heighten awareness of the issues facing our planet. Public film screenings, along with education screenings for students, enable the organization to reach thousands of people living in and visiting Newport, RI. newportFILM empowers film viewers to take action to protect the environment on issues raised by the films screened.
- Sponsor two documentary film screenings focused on raising awareness to current ocean and coastal threats, or the impacts of climate change.
- Reach over 3,000 people through these highly popular events, followed by panel discussions with experts and/or filmmakers.
- Accompany screenings post-film community meetings with filmmakers, encouraging action, and behavior change.
- Host a series of educational screenings of documentary films with local public and private schools reaching 1,600+ students. Film screenings are followed by a Q&A session with a local expert.
- Develop educational resources for in-classroom activities tailored to teachers’ annual STEM curriculum needs.
- Support three documentary film screenings focused that raise awareness of current ocean and coastal threats or the impacts of climate change.
- Reach thousands of people through these highly popular free public events, followed by panel discussions with experts in the field, local groups addressing the issue, or the filmmakers.
- Implement post-film audience engagement initiatives to encourage action and behavior change.
- Host a series of educational screenings of documentary films with public and private schools reaching hundreds of youth. Film screenings are followed by a question and answer session with a local expert. Educational resources will be developed for in-classroom activities following the films.
- Public screenings of ocean health films.
- Provide educational screenings to local schools.
- Organize panels of experts after screenings to further engage the audience.
Past newportFILM screenings presented by 11th Hour Racing:
- The Human Element (Public screening, January 2019)
- Finding 52 (Public outdoor screening, September 2018)
- The Serengeti Rules (Educational and Public outdoor screening, July 2018/Fall 2018)
- Chasing Coral (Educational and Public outdoor screenings, Summer/Fall 2017)
- A Plastic Ocean (Educational and Public screenings Oct-Nov 2016)
- Sonic Sea (Public outdoor screening, May 2016)
- Racing Extinction (Public outdoor screening, Summer 2015)
newportFILM believes in the power of documentary film to inspire, motivate, and entertain. More than a festival, newportFILM brings year-round programming and dialogue on the issues that matter in our lives.