2018, 2019, 2020
World Sailing Trust
Sailing Center Sustainability Tool
& Educational Resources
The World Sailing Trust is a global charity established to support sailing. The charity works to promote participation and access, support young sailing athletes, and safeguard our waters for future generations. 11th Hour Racing will support two of the Trust’s initial projects which focus on offering environmental sustainability training for younger sailors and reducing the environmental impact of sailing clubs by creating targeted resources.
Sustainability Assessment Tool, Resources & Case Studies
- The World Sailing Trust will work with World Sailing to create an online assessment for clubs to score their overall sustainability initiatives and provide guides, case studies, and other resources on how to improve.
- Enable sailing clubs to improve environmental performance and enhance environmental conscientiousness in their sailors by demonstrating and making available environmentally-friendly best practices and approaches.
- Topics will include waste reduction, energy efficiency, event management, water use and management, and maintenance.
- World Sailing will encourage all sailing clubs to use this tool to improve operations and will collect data and feedback on the impact they enable.
Sustainable Sailor Training
- Embed environmental education lesson plans and student resources into sailing programmes globally to inspire new sailors to protect the waters they sail on and ensure that the next generation of sailors is environmentally conscious.
- The World Sailing Trust will work with World Sailing to build upon tested education materials to create an online portal to host, promote, and provide a wide range of resources in a number of languages including Japanese, French, Italian, and Arabic.
- This project will create free resources for sailors, clubs, and coaches to learn about ocean health and sustainability. Themes include cleaning and maintenance, resource efficiency, waste, how to navigate when near wildlife, and biodiversity.
- World Sailing and partners will conduct outreach and training using these education modules with a number of sailing clubs throughout the year.
Launched on Earth Day, 22 April 2020, the Sustainability Education Programme resources are free to use and are broken down into six topics. Click here to access lesson plans on World Sailing’s website.
With the support of 11th Hour Racing and the World Sailing Trust, World Sailing has launched an online self-assessment tool supported by a suite of resources aimed at sailing and yacht clubs to help them become more sustainable and reduce their environmental impact. Click here to access the guide.
About World Sailing Trust
The newly formed World Sailing Trust works to inspire greater participation across the globe and establish far-reaching partnerships to safeguard the future of our sport. Through three distinct funds, the organization tackles key issues that are crucial to sailing and to the environment we depend on. By taking a partnership approach, working with individuals and organizations around the world, the organization works to safeguard our oceans and the future of our sport through three areas of work:
- Marine Health, empowering the sailing community to promote the health of our seas.
- Access to Sailing, increasing diversity across the sport and removing barriers to participation.
- Youth Pathways, developing young athletes and their careers particularly in countries where access to top-level coaching and competition is less available.