2018, 2019, 2020
Yacht Racing Forum
Starting in 2018, 11th Hour Racing and the Yacht Racing Forum have formed a three-year sponsorship to advance sustainable practices within the marine industry, sailing event management, and team operations. Additionally, the organizations will collaborate on how to integrate relevant sustainability content throughout conference programming – showcasing sustainability at off the water yachting events.
This partnership will engage the sailing community in conversations and continued behavior change with regards to implementing sustainability best practices and restoring ocean health. Some of the initiatives planned:
- Including at least one panel at the conference focused on growing the conversation surrounding sustainability and ocean health within the yacht racing community.
- Actively engaging conference attendees and the media on sustainability issues, solutions, and initiatives.
- Managing the event with robust sustainability guidelines, and publicizing how the operations changed, including successes and challenges so that other events may learn from this work.
The Yacht Racing Forum is the leading annual conference for the business of sailing and yacht racing. The Business & Marketing conference focuses on the commercial aspects of the sport: sponsorship, event organization, marketing, communication, venues, yacht clubs. It is a must-attend event for organizers, sailing teams, venues, sponsors, yacht clubs and agencies in the yacht racing industry.
- The event used its platform to engage the sailing and maritime community in discussion around sustainability and ocean health through presentations and panel conversations.
- No single-use plastic was used at the venue.
- Registration bags given to attendees were reusable rather than plastic.
- Recycling for paper, glass, and plastic was made available at the venue.
- Shuttle buses were provided to take delegates to evening events rather than relying on individual transportation.
- The event brochure was printed with environmentally-friendly paper and ink.
- All vendors were given sustainability guidelines, including suggestions on reducing waste from packaging, energy and emissions and water consumption.
- All vendors were encouraged to serve locally-sourced food.
- Attendees were encouraged to reduce their environmental impact, by bringing a reusable water bottle and considering offsetting their travel carbon footprint.